Hans advises and counsels employers, both large and small, in structuring their pension or profit sharing plans, including ESOP’s, so as to maximize their benefit both to the employer and to the employees. Hans also advises employers on possible structures for executive compensation strategies that provide benefits above and beyond what traditional pension or profit sharing plans can provide. He works with company representatives on issues arising during the administration of retirement and other employee benefit plans, which include representing the company’s interests in the event of audits by the Internal Revenue Service or other government agencies. Hans is also involved in numerous issues involving welfare benefit plan issues, including health care reform and HIPAA compliance.
In the estate planning and administration area, Hans works with individuals in structuring their estate plans. These structures range from simple wills to complex trusts involving charitable and multi-generational planning, depending upon the needs and desires of the individual involved. Hans also works with the family members on the administration of estates and the settlement of trusts, including the preparation of estate and income tax returns necessary for the completion of administration of estates or trusts.
Hans’ practice is focused primarily in the areas of employee benefit plans, individual and corporate tax planning, trust and probate administration which include some of the following representation:
- Have represented a large insurance company and nationwide restaurant chain with respect to their pension, profit sharing, and welfare plans, as well as executive compensation plans and labor and employment matters.
- Have drafted wills and trusts for individuals with needs of many varieties, including generation-skipping trusts, various charitable trusts, and numerous other needs.
- Have drafted and implemented buy-sell agreements for numerous privately held companies and their owners.
- Have assisted numerous owners of privately held businesses in transitioning ownership to their children and grandchildren.
Hans has spoken on many occasions to business groups concerning issues related to:
- Estate Planning
- Employee Benefit Issues
- University of Cincinnati College of Law, Order of the Coif, J.D., 1984
- University of Cincinnati, Honors, B.A., 1980
Bar / Court Admissions
- Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals
- United States District Court | Southern District of Ohio
- United States Tax Court
Professional Affiliations / Recognitions
- Cincinnati Bar Association
- Ohio State Bar Association
- Martindale Hubbell AV Rated